Introducing CauliShoots grown by our trusty supplier Barfoots, a new variety of Cauliflower with sweet nutty curds on succulent stems. It’s a UK first and we’re chuffed to use them in our recipes.
Totally edible from tip to toe so there’s no prep and no waste, just 100% deliciousness! Lovingly grown, hand-harvested and packed on Barfoots farms.
Check them out in the recipes below – on your menu 15th-21st August.
Pork with apricot & smoky tomato butter beans
Flavourful free-range British pork loins, sizzled with garlic and parsley until golden, top a bed of smoked paprika butter beans, studded with sweet apricots and piquant black olives. Tender ‘caulishoot’ cauliflower joins on the side.
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 8 dried apricots (Sulphites)
- 240g butter beans (drained)
- 3 garlic clove
- 30g Belazu pitted black olives
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 200g passata
- 2 free-range pork loins
- 1 shallot
- 1 vegetable stock cube(Celery)
- 90g baby plum tomatoes
- 180g caulishoots
- Preheat the oven to 240C / fan 220C / gas mark 8. Finely chop or crush the garlic. Finely dice the shallot. Roughly chop the parsley. Finely chop the apricots. Halve the olives. Halve the tomatoes.
- Cut the caulishoots in half lengthways and place on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tsp oil; season with sea salt and black pepper. Roast for 15-20 mins, until turning golden at the edges.
- Heat a medium saucepan with 1 tsp oil on a medium heat. Add the shallot and half the garlic, then cook for 3 mins, until softening. Add the paprika and half the parsley, cook for 1 min, then add the passata. Rinse the passata carton out with 100ml water and add to the pan. Crumble in the stock cube. Drain the beans, rinse and add to the pan with the apricots, tomatoes and olives. Stir and simmer for 10-15 mins, until the sauce thickens.
- Heat a large frying pan with 1 tsp oil on a high heat. Season the pork loins with sea salt, then add to the pan. Cook for 3-4 mins on each side, until golden and cooked through. Add the remaining garlic and parsley to the pan for the last minute of cooking.
- Serve the smoky tomato beans topped with the pork. Serve the roasted caulishoots on the side; spoon any remaining garlic and parsley from the pan over the pork
Goan tiger prawn curry
Silky coconut milk, warm spice, succulent tiger prawns – this south Indian-inspired curry is a real winner. We stuff it with tender roasted ‘caulishoots’, a type of sweet sprouting cauliflower, and serve over healthy brown rice.
Cooking time: 35 mins
- 200ml coconut milk
- 2 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp Goan spice mix
- 1 brown onion
- 80g brown rice
- 1 vegetable stock cube (use half) (Celery)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 180g green beans
- 200g raw peeled black tiger prawns (Crustaceans, Fish)
- 180g caulishoots
- Preheat the oven to 240C / fan 220C / gas mark 8 and boil a kettle. Rinse the rice, then place in a saucepan with 600ml lightly salted boiling water. Simmer for 20-25 mins, until cooked, then drain.
- Place the caulishoots on a lined baking tray and drizzle over 1/2 tbsp oil. Add a quarter of the spice mix, season with sea salt and toss to coat. Roast for 20-25 mins.
- Finely slice the onion. Heat a medium frying pan with 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium heat. Cook the onion for 5-7 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened. Meanwhile, finely chop or crush the garlic. Quarter the tomatoes.
- Dissolve the stock cube in a jug with 100ml boiling water. Turn the heat up high and add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato purée and remaining spice mix to the pan. Cook for a further 3-4 mins, stirring constantly then pour in the stock. Simmer for 5 mins, then add the coconut milk and simmer for another 5 mins.
- Cut the green beans into thirds, then add them to the pan, along with the prawns. Continue to simmer for a final 6-8 mins, until the prawns are pink and cooked through. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve the prawn curry with the rice and the roasted caulishoots
Yet to try healthy eating made easy? Get £10 off your first two healthy recipe boxes by entering code BLOG20 at checkout. Mindful Chef healthy recipe boxes provide you with the tools to cook delicious nutritious meals, in under 30 minutes. Each box contains recipe instructions, pre-portioned ingredients and fresh produce sourced from award-winning British farms.