Here at Mindful Chef we’re passionate about making healthy eating easier. We’ve decided to showcase some of our favourite healthy and delicious recipes each month to show the nation you can eat better without sacrificing on flavour. Read on to find out what this month’s recipe is, what health benefits it has, and how to make it.
This month’s Recipe of the Month is this delicious healthy chicken recipe, the perfect way to enjoy a healthy BBQ meal without having to rely on good weather!
Peri Peri Chicken, Sautéed Peppers & Potato Wedges
This West African-inspired dish puts a Mindful Chef spin on BBQ chicken, baked until golden and juicy. Serve the healthy chicken with tender baked peppers and crisp wedges, and sprinkle them with sea salt and a crackling of black pepper for a tasty kick.
- Cook time: 45 mins
- Allergens: Celery (in stock)
- Cuisine: West African
- Key ingredient: Juicy British free-range chicken leg
- Calories: 682kcal
- Protein: 60g
- Carbs: 50g
- Fat: 28g
This healthy chicken recipe is a great option for couples. For a single portion either half the quantities or have leftovers the next day as a deliciously easy hunger-solve. For families, simply double the ingredients for all to enjoy. For more delicious BBQ recipes delicious hot off the grill, you can browse our selection of nutritious BBQ recipes created with healthy eating in mind.
Why we love this dish
Chicken is typically low calorie and low in fat, meaning it’s a great addition to a healthy balanced diet. It contains high-quality protein which helps to build and maintain muscle and benefit bone health. Chicken also contains tryptophan which helps boost serotonin (a ‘feel-good’ hormone) levels in the brain. Chicken also contains vitamins and minerals essential for immune function, fertility, and energy production.
Broccoli is high in vitamins A and C which help boost healthy skin, and potassium which helps to keep bones healthy. Broccoli is also a good source of fibre, which helps to keep your bowels moving, lower blood sugar, and keep your gut happy. Antioxidants can also be found in broccoli, which help to protect cells in your eyes and may also help to support better blood sugar control in people with diabetes. Broccoli is a tasty and easy way to add a delicious health kick to any meal. Cooking by steaming has been found to help the broccoli retain most of its nutrients.
To make the most of BBQ season, check out our new BBQ range so you don’t miss out on the best flavours of the summer. Or make the most of the health benefits of chicken this summer with our selection of Healthy Chicken Recipes, made for delicious healthy meals that don’t skip out on flavour.
Here’s what you’ll need to create this delicious masterpiece you’ll want to enjoy again and again. Notice we’re gluten-free, dairy-free, and stodge-free! It’s just good, easy to find ingredients and delicious flavours here.
- 2 free-range chicken legs
- 2 garlic clove
- 1 lime
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tsp peri peri seasoning
- 400g large white potatoes
- 1 shallot
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 180g tenderstem broccoli
This recipe is so nice and simple. Soon you’ll have a new favourite BBQ recipe that the whole family will enjoy! Here’s what you need to do to create this scrumptious healthy chicken dish you’ll never forget.
- Heat the oven to 200C / fan 180C / gas mark 6. Boil a kettle. Score the chicken legs to the bone, then rub all over with the peri peri. Dissolve the stock cube in a jug with 200ml boiling water.
- Slice the shallot. Thinly slice the pepper. Place both into an ovenproof dish and mix. Pour in the stock and place the chicken on top. Season with sea salt and black pepper, then bake for 35 mins. Check your chicken is cooked through by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the meat; the juices should run clear. Cook for longer if necessary.
- Meanwhile, chop the garlic. Cut the potatoes into thin wedges. Put the potatoes onto a lined baking tray, drizzle over 1 tsp oil and sprinkle with the garlic; season with sea salt and black pepper. Bake for 30 mins, until golden, turning halfway.Trim the broccoli, then add to the potato tray for the last 10 mins of cooking time. Quarter the lime.
- Serve the chicken with the wedges and broccoli. Spoon over the vegetables and roasting juices. Garnish with the lime wedges.
- If you try this peri peri healthy chicken recipe, we’d love to hear from you! Tag us in your social media posts and show us your healthy creations, and be sure to check out our blog post showcasing our new BBQ range for you to try.
More from Mindful Chef
Want more healthy recipes? We have over 1000 healthy, delicious recipes for you to choose from. Whether a meat lover, vegan, or fish lover, we have more than enough choice for you. Take a look and get cooking! Enjoy cooking but hate the hassle? We offer a healthy recipe box service that brings fresh, responsibly sourced ingredients to your door with a healthy recipe to go with it. Simply choose your recipes, pick a delivery date, and we’ll do the rest. All that’s left to do is follow the recipe card and start your healthy food journey!