This Boxing Day, grab your leftovers and serve up potato röstis topped with turkey and all the trimmings. Add a perfectly poached egg and pour over your very own homemade (healthy) hollandaise.
So good, you’ll be queuing up for seconds.
WHAT YOU NEED… (for one portion!)
- 1/2 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10g chives
- 1/2 stock cube (chicken)
- Leftover root veg: Roast potatoes, parsnips and carrots
- Leftover sprouts
- 2 eggs
- Sliced turkey
- Braised cabbage
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Cashew cream
- 20g parmesan cheez (or nutritional yeast)
- 1 tbsp cranberry sauce
HOW TO MAKE IT…
- Boil your kettle. Meanwhile, thinly slice your shallot, garlic and chives. Dissolve your stock cube in 100ml of boiling water.
- Make the bubble and squeak – roughly chop the potatoes, carrots, parsnips and sprouts. Place them into a pan with 1 egg, a pinch of salt and pepper then mash. Once heated through, remove from the pan and shape your bubble & squeak into a ball.
- Next heat a frying pan with 1 tsp of oil. Take your bubble & squeak and pat it down in the pan (keep it an inch or so thick). Cook on both sides for 5 mins, then take out to one side and keep warm.
- In the same pan, add the sliced turkey and cabbage to warm though for 5 mins.
- Make the cheese and chive sauce – In a medium sized pan with 1 tsp of oil, add the garlic, shallots and cook for 2 mins. Add the stock and cook for 1 min, then add the maple, mustard, cashew cream and parmesan cheez, cooking for 4 mins on a gentle simmer. Finally add 3/4 of the chives.
- Meanwhile, in a pan of simmering water, crack the egg to poach for 5 mins. Take out and drain on a cloth to get rid of any excess water. (Need a hand poaching your eggs? Watch out chef’s tips video here)
- To plate, add the bubble & squeak to the centre of the plate, place the turkey on top, followed by the red cabbage and poached egg. Add a spoonful of cranberry sauce and spoon over the cheese and chive sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining chives.
Yet to try healthy eating made easy? Get £10 off your first two recipe boxes by entering code BLOG20 at checkout. Mindful Chef healthy recipe boxes provide you with the tools to cook delicious nutritious meals, in under 30 minutes. Each box contains recipe instructions, pre-portioned ingredients and fresh produce sourced from award-winning British farms.