Say bonjour to Chef James’ healthy twist on a French classic: the crème brûlée.
Made with best-in-season blood oranges (they’re in your Fruit Box), zero dairy, zero refined sugars, and zero reasons not to try it at home. Let’s get cooking.
What you need…
- 500ml/18fl oz almond or cashew cream
- 1 vanilla pod/essence
- 1 Blood orange from the Mindful Chef fruit box
- 100g/4oz coconut sugar (plus extra for the topping)
- 6 eggs
(Allergens in bold)
How to make it…
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/gas and pour the cream into a saucepan. Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Grate the orange and then add the grated orange, seeds and pod to the cream.
- Bring the cream to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat the sugar and egg yolks together in a large heatproof bowl. Pour the cream over the egg mixture, whisking continuously until it thickens – this indicates that the eggs have begun to cook slightly. Tip: don’t take over 83 degrees.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a jug, and then fill six ramekins.
- Place the ramekins into a roasting tray and pour in enough hot water to fill half the ramekins.
- Place into the centre shelf of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the custards are just set (but still slightly wobbly in the middle).
- Remove the ramekins from the water and set aside to cool at room temperature. Chill until needed.
- When you’re ready to serve, place thin slices of blood orange on top of the creme brûlée and sprinkle 1 tsp of coconut sugar evenly over the surface of each crème brûlée. Finally, caramelise with a chef’s blow torch.
For more healthy hacks like our healthy chocolate clementines and non-alcoholic fruit punch, check out Dietitian Clare’s blog here. And stay tuned as we share more waste-free ideas – veggie-peeling-crisps anyone?
Yet to try healthy eating made easy? Get £10 off your first two recipe boxes by entering code BLOG20 at checkout. Mindful Chef healthy recipe boxes provide you with the tools to cook delicious nutritious meals, in under 30 minutes. Each box contains recipe instructions, pre-portioned ingredients and fresh produce sourced from award-winning British farms.